Saturday, November 24, 2012

Le Palais Garnier

The Palais Garnier is a masterpiece of an opera house and I have to admit I have been here 6 years already and just now making it inside. It was built on the orders of Napoleon III as part of the great Parisian reconstruction project carried out by Haussmann in the late 1800s. This is a not to be missed visit on your agenda. You can choose to do a self-guided tour or take a tour with a guide (tours are given in English at certain times.) There is a fabulous staircase in the center one can walk up and down and feel like a princess entering her castle. There are beautiful costumes showcased behind glass with notes on what opera they were used for.  I loved looking at the gorgeous costumes and was most fascinated by the people who work behind the scenes, from the costume designers to shoe designers, to the wardrobe assistants to make-up artists. There is an entire area inside dedicated to these workers with loads of images and write-ups. I am sure it's a bit glorified, but who wouldn't want to be among those silky gowns and gorgeous headdresses...... I haven't yet been to an opera, but desperately want to go to have a peek inside the auditorium to see the ceiling painted by Chagall. It was closed the day I went as there were rehearsals going on.

There are operas for children as well as adults. However, I recommend booking early as the more popular operas sell out quickly.



I love this image - Beautiful dresses waiting to be worn.......





Private boxes - hmmm wonder what it's like inside.......

Belle!!
 

No comments: